Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string f

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string from code that runs on X
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 16:17:58 +0800

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> I'm puzzled.  Is that with emacs -Q?

No.  I don't develop software in "emacs -Q".

> I'm at 9035c20888, and all links seem to be fontified and to work
> correctly, each one takes me to the right place in the Makefile.  Do
> you have a recipe, perhaps?

The recipe is not very relevant, since we already know the fix.  Which
is to remove indentation and leading dashes from the message.

At the same time, it would be good to remove bullet lists from the
message, and reword it in plain English.  Why?  Because it is easier for
people who, presumably unlike you, are not native English speakers, to
follow instructions laid out in the verbal format they learned at
school, instead of lists of individual, heavily context-dependent
sentences.

Emphasis is better conveyed verbally, rather than with exclamation marks
and capitals.

I think it is also good to remove all uses of the first-person pronoun,
like so:

# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-BEGIN:all
# Running "make bootstrap" to re-build Emacs without compiled Lisp code
# commonly resolves the problem, while running "make V=1" will cause
# Make to display the commands it invokes to build Emacs, which can help
# investigate the problem.
# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-END:all

# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-BEGIN:bootstrap
# Try running "make extraclean" followed by "make", which will rebuild
# Emacs with the default configuration options.  Failing that, run "git
# clean -fdx" and "make bootstrap"; keep in mind that will irretrievably
# delete all files not under version control.  If Emacs still fails to
# build, please report the failure to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, following
# the instructions in the 'Reporting Bugs' node of the Emacs manual.
# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-END:bootstrap

And this type of build failure should never happen from a tarball, so
the message for both targets should be changed to:

# Please report the build failure to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, following
# the instructions in the 'Reporting Bugs' node of the Emacs manual.

For both targets.