Re: NonGNU ELPA proposal: annotate-mode

From: Noboru Ota
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA proposal: annotate-mode
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 18:50:42 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Cc: cage <cage-dev@twistfold.it>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:20:32 -0500
>>
>> Note that beside this `annotate.el` that's also `org-remark.el` recently
>> added to `elpa.git` which offers similar functionality, but similarly
>> suffers from the use of absolute file names to connect the notes and
>> the file.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that.  I guess people are happy with this situation.

This is the first feedback on links between files for Org-remark in its
1+ years of existence; so thank you.

I was OK with absolute file names as I don't move them around much.

Could I ask you to give me a little more detail as to why you find
absolute file names problematic for you, please?

Before your feedback, I had already had a work-in-progress
version. Reflecting your comments, I have added the following user

1. For linking from main file to its annotation file, it can be either a
   string (default) or function (new). If you choose the function option,
   the default function lets you save the notes of FILE into FILE-notes.org

2. For linking from an annotation file back to a main file, it can be a
   relative path (new default), abbreviate absolute path, or other to
   specify a function

I have just merged the changes to the main branch in GitHub -- it should
soon make its way to ELPA-devel.  I will leave it there for now to see
if I broke anything before I bump up the version to release the package
to ELPA as version 1.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Noboru