Re: NonGNU ELPA proposal: annotate-mode

From: cage
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA proposal: annotate-mode
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:02:11 +0100

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 04:53:00PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Hi!

> > https://github.com/bastibe/annotate.el

[...]

> FWIW, I wish Emacs had in core a mode that would allow adding notes
> (a.k.a. "annotations") to files, which (a) didn't use overlays that
> display in the text area, but instead displayed the notes in the
> margin and/or in tooltips;

If  i understand  correctly the  package can  someway already  use the
tooltips setting  a customizable variable;  in this case  the property
'help-echo'  of the  overlay  is setted  and a  tooltip  is shown  (if
tooltip-mode is enabled).

I like the idea to use the margin!

> and (b) would save the notes of FILE into a
> FILE.notes file, not into a single DB under the user's home directory.

I find useful  to have the annotations in  centralized database, some
persons save  the database  in a  network accessible  file system (even
using TRAMP!), to share it on multiple machines.

Bye an thanks for the suggestions!
C.