Re: Undo mode

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Undo mode
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:01:36 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I did of course, but I still fail to see it.  Is it about the memory
>> consumption?  If so, did anyone measure its impact?  I'd have thought
>> that the memory impact was insignificant.
>
> Memory consumption,

Feel free to provide details.

>  and also turning on by default a new mode that
> wasn't there before.

We don't need any new mode, see Juri's patch.

>> Re-reading that discussion (now twice) just takes me back to the
>> conclusion that this makes Emacs harder to use, with no clear benefit.
>
> How can it make Emacs harder to use

It is harder to use this feature, because you first have to enable a new
mode, or the command will just error out.

There is also the mode itself, and the additional menu entry/entries.

The question is: what do we win from this additional complexity?
I didn't see any satisfactory answer to that question.