Re: Undo mode

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Undo mode
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:34:16 +0800

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> Discussed?  You filed a bug report, Eli replied "I don't see that as a
> problem", you did what you wanted to do two hours later, and closed
> the bug report.

Eli also added an option first to disable the mode, and I turned it into
a toggle.  And yes, that counts as a discussion, since it involved more
than one person.

> There's no point in telling the user "how to turn it off", as I said
> earlier the "Enable Frame Undeletion" menu item was there as a hint to
> tell users that it's a feature that needs to be turned on in their
> init files.

Let's say a hypothetical user with limited memory turns frame undeletion
on, realizes that it uses too much memory to be useful to him, and then
wants to turn it off.

By the time he realizes he wants it off, the output of view-lossage is
no longer likely to be helpful to determine exactly how the feature was
enabled, so naturally he will look in the place where he turned it on,
which is the File menu, and get very confused if all that is there is
"Undelete Frame", and not "Disable Frame Undeletion" or some variant
thereof.