Re: Undo mode

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Undo mode
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 20:58:54 +0000

1. All File menu items are shifted to the right because of a single checkbox.

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

It depends on the toolkit you use I guess. With Lucid the effect is awful, see attached screenshots.

We have the same in Text menu, for example.

Perhaps we're looking at different Text menus, but I see five entries in that menu, two of which have a checkbox.

2. The "Undelete Frame" item appears and disappears, instead of being disabled and enabled.

That's easy to change, but why is it better to show it disabled instead of not showing it at all?

It's what happens elsewhere in that menu and in others, some items are disabled or enabled depending on whether their corresponding action can be performed, but none disappear when their corresponding action cannot be performed, at least not in the standard menus.

3. The frame undeletion items uses two entries in the File menu, IMO that's one too much, and with the proposed options 1 and 2 it uses only one.

That's not a separate issue, so I don't think it counts.

What do you mean? Problem 1 above is the appearance of the checkbox, problem 2 about the fact that a menu item appears and disappears, problem 3 about the number of menu entries. These are three separate things.

My conclusion so far is that the most reasonable compromise would be to use the second patch (attached again).