Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:21:54 +0200

> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:06:59 +0000
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > Since this is glaringly inconsistent with the timings Alan published,
> > I think it would be a good idea to measure the difference for each of
> > the*.el files, because it could be that a couple of outliers skew the
> > entire picture.  That is, put the 'time' command inside the 'do', and
> > don't use -j8; then compare the outputs.
>
> On the branch, the byte compiler is doing more work than on master.  My
> timings from yesterday were about the speed of Emacs in daily use rather
> than while compiling.

Are you saying that the measured slowdown is specific to the
byte-compiler, and will not affect other uses of Lisp, or affect them
much less heavily?  Because the byte-compiler is  just another Lisp
program, it doesn't in general do anything an arbitrary Lisp program
won't do.

Can you point to the places in the byte-compiler that do significantly
more work on the branch?  Can you show a profile where this could be
seen quantitatively?