Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:23:39 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 13:02:34 +0100
> Cc: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > And a "time make -j8 bootstrap check" takes
>
> A better benchmark is something like the following, since we're
> interested in byte compilation speed and not the rest:
>
> time for i in `seq 1 10`; do rm lisp/gnus/*.elc lisp/org/*.elc; make -j8; done
>
> This is 17% slower on my build machine on the branch compared to master.

Since this is glaringly inconsistent with the timings Alan published,
I think it would be a good idea to measure the difference for each of
the*.el files, because it could be that a couple of outliers skew the
entire picture.  That is, put the 'time' command inside the 'do', and
don't use -j8; then compare the outputs.