Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:36:52 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 13:26:52 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Since this is glaringly inconsistent with the timings Alan published,
>
> Did Alan benchmark byte compilation?

No.  But scrolling through a C file  invokes a lot of Lisp, so such
different results are surprising.

> > I think it would be a good idea to measure the difference for each of
> > the*.el files, because it could be that a couple of outliers skew the
> > entire picture.  That is, put the 'time' command inside the 'do', and
> > don't use -j8; then compare the outputs.
>
> I'm not sure what that's supposed to show?

Whether the slowdown is uniform or not.  If it is not uniform, then it
is no longer certain that the time to recompile all the *.el files in
the Emacs source tree is a good representative of the effect of this
change on our users.