Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:06:59 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 14:23:39 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> > Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 13:02:34 +0100
> > Cc: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

> > > And a "time make -j8 bootstrap check" takes

> > A better benchmark is something like the following, since we're
> > interested in byte compilation speed and not the rest:

> > time for i in `seq 1 10`; do rm lisp/gnus/*.elc lisp/org/*.elc; make -j8;
> > done

> > This is 17% slower on my build machine on the branch compared to master.

> Since this is glaringly inconsistent with the timings Alan published,
> I think it would be a good idea to measure the difference for each of
> the*.el files, because it could be that a couple of outliers skew the
> entire picture.  That is, put the 'time' command inside the 'do', and
> don't use -j8; then compare the outputs.

On the branch, the byte compiler is doing more work than on master.  My
timings from yesterday were about the speed of Emacs in daily use rather
than while compiling.

I'm surprised to see the difference at 17%, though.  My bootstrap on the
branch is just 7% - 8% slower than on master.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).