Re: "Can't find Hunspell dictionary" error (was Re: Emacs pretest 28.0.9

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: "Can't find Hunspell dictionary" error (was Re: Emacs pretest 28.0.91 is out)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:20:05 +0100

    >>> So you want to fix this?  I don't mind, but since it's (AFAIU)
    >>> something specific to your installation, is it important to fix on
    >>> the release branch?

    Phil> While unexpected, it doesn't seem *invalid* to have no dictionaries
    Phil> installed, so I think it's weird that `ispell-valid-dictionary-list'
    Phil> triggers (indirectly) an error in this scenario to essentially say
    Phil> "there were no valid dictionaries", when that's also what a nil return
    Phil> value would have meant.

    Phil> `ispell-valid-dictionary-list' or `ispell-set-spellchecker-params'
    Phil> should perhaps use `with-demoted-errors' to avoid this?

    Robert> Perhaps

    Phil> Failing that, I think guarding against this in spelling-tests.el with
    Phil> `ignore-errors' makes sense.  It's an :unstable test, but it shouldn't
    Phil> be triggering actual errors.

Itʼs an unstable test, and when you actually run it, it fails 100% of
the time, whether your ispell/aspell/hunspell installation is correct
or not. Fixed on master.

    Robert> Itʼs not the test thatʼs triggering errors, itʼs the check to see if
    Robert> the test should be defined at all. Iʼll take a look at fixing that
and
    Robert> ispell-valid-dictionary-list on master.

Wrapping the test in `ignore-errors' is easy. Of the three dictionary
listing functions, the one for hunspell is the only one that signals
an error, so maybe it should just log a message instead?

Robert