"Can't find Hunspell dictionary" error (was Re: Emacs pretest 28.0.91 is

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: "Can't find Hunspell dictionary" error (was Re: Emacs pretest 28.0.91 is out)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:51:50 +1300

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't find Hunspell dictionary with a
> .aff affix f...")
>   signal(error ("Can't find Hunspell dictionary with a .aff affix f..."))
>   error("Can't find Hunspell dictionary with a .aff affix f...")
>   ispell-find-hunspell-dictionaries()
>   ispell-set-spellchecker-params()
>   ispell-valid-dictionary-list()
>
> This is because I have no hunspell dictionaries at all

So you want to fix this?  I don't mind, but since it's (AFAIU)
something specific to your installation, is it important to fix on
the release branch?

While unexpected, it doesn't seem *invalid* to have no dictionaries
installed, so I think it's weird that `ispell-valid-dictionary-list'
triggers (indirectly) an error in this scenario to essentially say
"there were no valid dictionaries", when that's also what a nil return
value would have meant.

`ispell-valid-dictionary-list' or `ispell-set-spellchecker-params'
should perhaps use `with-demoted-errors' to avoid this?

Failing that, I think guarding against this in spelling-tests.el with
`ignore-errors' makes sense.  It's an :unstable test, but it shouldn't
be triggering actual errors.

-Phil