Re: [External] : Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 14:25:46 -0700

Hello Lars,

On Tue 04 Jan 2022 at 04:04PM +01, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Anyway, I'm in favour of setup wizards...  but I don't think there
> should be only one.  I think we should invite people to submit setup
> wizards (like we do face themes), and then Emacs should list these (with
> an explanation of what the use case for each wizard/configuration is).

Nice, this sounds like it might alleviate Yuan's concerns about
setup-wizard.el being too opinionated.

> I also think it's high time that we default to not having the Customize
> stuff in the init file, but put it in a different file.

A few people have mentioned this but I don't understand why -- I
recently dropped a really old setq for custom-file because I couldn't
come up with any advantages to having it in a separate file.

> And if we do that, I think we should discuss whether to change the
> format.  I think it'd make sense to move to a more code-based format
> for the file.

... is it just that it would enable things like this?

--
Sean Whitton