Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:17:46 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What would that mean for users that currently save their
> customizations through Custom in .emacs?  Would it mean that the next
> time they save customizations, they will be written to another file
> and removed from .emacs?

Good question.

I imagine that we would just leave things in place for such users.  It
would be slightly jarring to have things moved around behind the users
back.

But maybe it would be a good idea to provide a migration command to
conveniently move things.

Or we could prompt the user about moving it.  To avoid being annoying,
we could record the answer, and not prompt again if the question was
already asked.