Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 17:49:22 +0100

    >> What would that mean for users that currently save their
    >> customizations through Custom in .emacs?  Would it mean that the next
    >> time they save customizations, they will be written to another file
    >> and removed from .emacs?

    Drew> See my previous replies about this.

    Drew> If you want to continue to use only the init
    Drew> file, just set `custom-file' to that file.
    Drew> Or set a variable (TBD) to tell Emacs to never
    Drew> load `custom-file' automatically.

    Drew> If you want to change, to use only `custom-file'
    Drew> for `custom*' stuff, move such settings from
    Drew> your init file to your `custom-file'.  (And yes,
    Drew> we should have a command that does that moving.)

Making people who wish to retain long-standing behaviour set a
variable or edit a config file for something as fundamental as loading
and saving customizations is not something I would want, ever. The
*only* case I can see where we could set custom-file to eg
~/.emacs.d/custom.el (and maybe load it automatically) is for people
with no customizations.

Robert