Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 08:29:48 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:50:02 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, eliz@gnu.org
>
> xenodasein@tutanota.de writes:
>
> > What is a "core package?"  Never seen that term inside Emacs before.
> > Is package.el one?  If it was on ELPA, what would install it?
>
> If I'm not mistaken, it is only documented in the elpa.git README:
>
>     ** =:core FILES=
>     This property has to come first.
>     Indicates that this is a special package which will be built by extracting
>     files directly from Emacs's source code.  For this to work, the Emacs
>     source code should be available in the =emacs= subdirectory.
>     FILES specifies the files that will be contained in the generated
> tarballs.
>     It can be a single file name or a list of file names.
>
> FWIW, I suggested adding something about this to CONTRIBUTE, but the
> idea was rejected.

Not the idea was rejected, the particular text you proposed and the
place where you proposed to put it were rejected.

Note that the above text is in ELPA's README file.  If you want to add
something similar to the Emacs's README file, I won't mind.  And there
could be perhaps other good places for it, perhaps even a separate
file of some kind.  It just doesn't belong to CONTRIBUTE, at least not
in the form it was proposed, because that doesn't fit the purpose and
the spirit of the instructions in CONTRIBUTE.