Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:52:15 -0700

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 12:17 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Based on the initial reactions to my original mail, it seems emacs
> > is not ready to even make such a reevaluation.
>
> That'd be one interpretation of what you read, but it isn't the only
> one.  Nor is it the most friendly one, frankly.

Sorry for my initial uncharitable view of how emacs-devel thinks about this.

> The truth is that we reevaluate this as much as other projects do (how
> else would a reasonable person react when he or she reads the
> discussions like those that happened recently on GCC and glibc
> lists?), we just conclude that the policy should not change, because
> the alternatives propose for the copyright assignment are worse than
> what we have.

I was not aware that GCC had even changed its process until this email
thread. The little bit I've read so far about that change does make me
better understand the attitudes people have here towards the topic. I
do hope there may still be ways of improving the current process emacs
uses for assigments.