Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'di

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'display-comint-buffer-action'
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:47:56 -0500

> * martin rudalics <ehqnyvpf@tzk.ng> [2021-12-30 18:14:14 +0100]:
>
> Now 'pop-to-buffer-reuse-or-same-window' is still no 100% substitute for
> 'pop-to-buffer' but we can try it because it handles Sam's main argument
> against 'pop-to-buffer-same-window' - that the same buffer appears twice
> on the same frame.

Please note that this is just the most obvious situation when the "same
window" behavior is undesirable.
Personally, I would rather avoid it altogether.
This is why my preferred approach would be to

* use plain `pop-to-buffer' _everywhere_
* deprecate all `pop-to-buffer-*' functions
* modify the default value of `display-buffer-alist' to preserve the
  current behavior

One clear benefit of this approach would be giving users a sophisticated
example of `display-buffer-alist' to start their customizations from.

Thank you.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2022
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com