Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'di

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'display-comint-buffer-action'
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:38:42 -0500

> * martin rudalics <ehqnyvpf@tzk.ng> [2021-12-30 11:25:31 +0100]:
>
>> ... we need a general new display
>> buffer action that preferably (1) reuses a window already showing the
>> buffer (2) uses the same window and only then (3) uses another window.
>> Maybe Juri has an idea.
>
> The attached diff should illustrate what I mean here.

I cannot imagine a situation where I would want to use the same window
(i.e., show the shell buffer in the window from which I called shell).

IIUC, your patch will use the current window in some circumstances,
and, since you want to use `display-buffer-reuseor-same-window' in
`shell'-like functions, I will not be able to avoid that.

I would much prefer that we use `pop-to-buffer' or `display-buffer'
everywhere (deprecating all those `pop-to-buffer-*' functions)
and let the _users_ decide how to display _all_ buffers using the standard
`display-buffer-alist' functionality.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2022
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com