Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'di

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'display-comint-buffer-action'
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:29:52 -0500

> * Lars Ingebrigtsen <ynefv@tahf.bet> [2021-12-29 16:00:44 +0100]:
>
> Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable
>> 'display-comint-buffer-action'
>>
>>     * lisp/window.el (display-comint-buffer-action): New `defcustom`,
>>     defaults to 'display-buffer-same-window' for backward compatibility.
>
> Others have noted the technical problems with this patch, but as the
> discussion in bug#52467 showed, Emacs already has capabilities for
> customising the behaviour here (via the general display machinery), and
> adding something cross-cutting but specific to the coming-derived modes
> just seems odd to me, so I'd be in favour of reverting this patch.

`display-comint-buffer-action' was my concession to the people who wanted
comint buffers displayed in the same window.

Personally, I would _love_ to kill it and use plain `pop-to-buffer'
everywhere.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2022
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com