Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'di

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'display-comint-buffer-action'
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 09:47:48 +0100

> Sorry, but I simply don't understand what's going on here.  Sam
> Steingold's original report starts with the following statement:
>
>    I would like to request reverting of the patch
>
>    70b64e0d040e9c57f1a489c9ebee553264033119 "Use pop-to-buffer-same-window for
shell"

>    When I already have a window with shell, this patch creates a second
>    such window.
>    It seems much more reasonable to use pop-to-buffer in eshell rather than
>    break shell's behavior.
>
>    If you insist on your desired behavior, please add a user variable
>    `shell-pop-to-buffer-action` that you would set to
>    `display-buffer--same-window-action`.
>
> Now IIUC the original code had 'pop-to-buffer' which conceptually does
> create a new window.  'pop-to-buffer-same-window' OTOH conceptually
> reuses the same window instead.  So how that patch could provoke this
> behavior
>
>    When I already have a window with shell, this patch creates a second
>    such window.
>
> is beyond my understanding.

Sorry again, I slowly start understanding now.  I now think that the
original patch should be reverted or that we need a general new display
buffer action that preferably (1) reuses a window already showing the
buffer (2) uses the same window and only then (3) uses another window.
Maybe Juri has an idea.

martin