Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 21:04:45 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> And basic things like (un)subscribing to a bug, subcomponents (with
> subscriptions),

Don't we already have that?  (Where you give debbugs an incantation
along the lines of "Package: emacs,component-here", and it will DTRT.)

It's just that not many people make use of it.

> not having to CC every participant which is not already on the CC list
> of the mail you are responding to, etc.

I never found that to be a problem with debbugs.  I think you only have
to CC the bug address.

> Extra points if the new system does not require to read a manual for
> closing, reopening or categorizing bugs.

I haven't seen such a system to date, and that includes SourceHut.

> For now let's put aside cross-references between commits, bugs, patch
> submissions and C.I. runs as something too modern to bear.

FWIW, My experience is that stuff always gets in the way.

At my shop we used to have a cron job that searched through VCS log
messages looking for the text "resolves: <bug number>", closing the
corresponding tickets on Trac.

Eventually, we realized that you cannot rely on a commit to always solve
an issue, and that it is usually better to wait for whoever discovered
the bug to verify that it was fixed before calling it "resolved".

Also, I don't understand how it makes sense for CI to run on a bug
report.

> It is already possible on debbugs.gnu.org, for some sufficiently broad
> definition of "possible".

It's not possible on debbugs.gnu.org, which doesn't let you submit
reports from a web browser.

> Famous last words.

No.  If you can submit comments, you can send e-mail, which means adding
an attachment to the email should be a fairly trivial task.