Re: emojis and other multi-character glyphs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emojis and other multi-character glyphs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:01:52 +0200

> From: Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:24:05 +0530
>

> [1:text/plain Hide]
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > That's nothing but a terminology mishap.
> It's got to be more than this.
>
> The Family: Man, Woman, Girl, Boy emoji is a ZWJ sequence combining 👨
> Man, ‍ Zero Width Joiner, 👩 Woman, ‍ Zero Width Joiner, 👧 Girl, ‍ Zero
> Width Joiner and 👦 Boy. These display as a single emoji on supported
> platforms.

"Single emoji" is ambiguous and basically inaccurate.  It's a single
"grapheme cluster".

> Simply copying the sequence in firefox address bar shows me single emoji (I've
> NotoColorEmoji Font). This leads me to conclude it's not a font feature
> - but a renderer feature.

It is actually both: the rendering engine asks the font how to display
this sequence, the font provides the response in the form of one or
more font glyphs to use, and the renderer then displays those glyphs.

But that wasn't what I referred to as "terminology mishap".