Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 21:46:32 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Maybe that hints at an usability problem?

No, it probably hints that nobody finds it neccessary to make use of.

> Sadly, no. If I submit a bug and get responses to the original report
> from Alice and Bob, then I answer Alice's message, Bob wont see it
> unless I add his address to the CC list on my message to Alice.

Okay, but how is that a problem?  Everyone knows to click "Reply All",
which is present even in webmail, and if someone doesn't, he usually
remembers after being asked once.

> Well, just to name an example, bugzilla which is both popular and
> ancient, hardly needs any instructions to do those trivial things.

With Bugzilla, you typically have to read the user guide and several
pieces of project-specific documentation documenting their conventions
before you can do something as "trivial" as report a bug.

> The mentioned guix debbugs frontend doesn't allow that either.

It does, just not the Guix instance.

> You can attach cat pics too :-) The hard part is not attaching patches,
> the hard part is to recognize and handle them so they are automatically
> available to the related tools (conflict detection, quick merge, run
> C.I. on the patch, etc.)

Why would anyone want to run CI on a patch sent from an arbitrary
source?  That seems prone to abuse, and also a waste of electricity.

Detecting conflicts should be trivial, but I don't understand what you
refer to by "quick merge".