Re: Development Speed

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:38:43 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Have we checked lately if those machines that we purport to support are
>> able to run anything more complex than `emacs -Q'?
>
> Yes.  For example, I tried quite a few things with the MS-DOS port, and
> thanks to that, it works on Emacs 28 now.
>
> The same situation exists with Windows 9x.  At work, we have a 9x system
> for running legacy applications, and having Emacs 27 installed on that
> system is really convenient.  And yes, that Emacs installation is
> regularly used.

How much RAM that machine has? Do you think it is justified to keep
Windows-9X support on Emacs for just a few anecdotal uses? If your
answer is that the extra work it adds is negligible and that you will
keep the maintenance burden, don't you think that keeping a separate
branch for Windows-9X (or any retro-computing platform, for that matter)
would be more adequate, instead of forcing everyone else to go over that
code when they read the sources?