Re: Removing the `window-id' frame parameter on non-Core Input platforms

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Removing the `window-id' frame parameter on non-Core Input platforms
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:03:54 -0700

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 8:39 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Except the user experience is different.
>
> You don't have to display the same widget in two windows, if that's what
> you're concerned about.
>
> > Frankly I find it not very helpful to have the same exact view into a
> > buffer on two windows which is what the osr technique ends up
> > accomplishing. The fact that scrolling in one xwidget webkit buffer
> > scrolls in every other I find to be distracting. Also the case of
> > unequal sized windows displaying the same webkit buffer is still not
> > handled correctly as the larger buffer will have it's view clipped to
> > the size of the smaller in focus buffer.
>
> It correctly fits the model of Emacs display, which is the main concern.

I would disagree. To fit the Emacs display model I think xwidget
webkit buffers should behave the same as eww buffers, where one can
independently scroll two windows containing the same buffer (ie one
could view the content at the top of a page in one buffer and the
content at the bottom in another which can be very useful).

> > Another feature not currently "just working" transparently is the
> > webkit inspector. It currently seg faults emacs when the webkit buffer
> > is killed and is impossible to interact with before then.
>
> On X11?  It works for me, and if it doesn't, that is a bug.  Please send
> a backtrace along with the WebKitGTK version you are using.

This was via xwayland. I'll try to come up with a recipe to reproduce
and send a bug report.