Re: Removing the `window-id' frame parameter on non-Core Input platforms

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Removing the `window-id' frame parameter on non-Core Input platforms
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 15:49:18 -0700

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 9:45 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> writes:
>
> > I would disagree. To fit the Emacs display model I think xwidget
> > webkit buffers should behave the same as eww buffers, where one can
> > independently scroll two windows containing the same buffer (ie one
> > could view the content at the top of a page in one buffer and the
> > content at the bottom in another which can be very useful).
>
> Why is that so?  xwidgets aren't text, they're special display elements
> like images.

But even with a buffer showing an image, I can scroll it independently
in two windows, so xwidgets don't even behave like images. I would
expect displaying an HTML document that only contains unformatted text
to behave similarly in both eww and xwidgets webkit with respect to
scrolling the document. The current behavior of xwidget webkit with
respect to scrolling doesn't appear to me to have any analog to
anything else in emacs, perhaps the closet would be follow-mode if the
two windows displayed the same buffer location.