Re: Removing the `window-id' frame parameter on non-Core Input platforms

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Removing the `window-id' frame parameter on non-Core Input platforms
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:34:30 -0700

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 8:20 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> then just integrate the work I've done on emacs-webkit into a pgtk
> >> version of xwidgets? I think one of the key differences between the
> >> codes are the osr versus one-to-one buffer-webkit view models.
>
> > I will work on it eventually, which will be before the release of Emacs
> > 29.
>
> Also, BTW, I don't think you will have trouble integrating the
> emacs-webkit work into the X version of xwidgets.
>
> Most of the offscreen rendering and event passthrough between X windows
> and the WebKit widget is done transparently, so you essentially don't have
> to worry about it, as things should "just work".

Except the user experience is different. Frankly I find it not very
helpful to have the same exact view into a buffer on two windows which
is what the osr technique ends up accomplishing. The fact that
scrolling in one xwidget webkit buffer scrolls in every other I find
to be distracting. Also the case of unequal sized windows displaying
the same webkit buffer is still not handled correctly as the larger
buffer will have it's view clipped to the size of the smaller in focus
buffer.

Another feature not currently "just working" transparently is the
webkit inspector. It currently seg faults emacs when the webkit buffer
is killed and is impossible to interact with before then. Perhaps the
osr technique can be made to work in these cases, but I view it as
really going against the grain of the gtk widget (and cocoa) model.