Re: Development Speed

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 05:16:04 +0100 (CET)

Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg01900.html
From: Po Lu
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:31:18 +0800

> We certainly have the same ability in Emacs.  I was able to develop a
> fully functional graphical port to Haiku in less than 2 months.

I fail to see how this is accurate or relevant.

> Refactoring for refactoring's sake never accomplishes much

I don't know what refactoring for refactoring's sake is but;
What I mention is primarily done to reduce manhours needed to achieve
some things and and make new contributions easier/possible.
If making changes take too long, it can also indicate that the project is dead.
Or again from Neovim's example, could cause social issues, forks.
Software engineering textbooks have more to say on the topic.

> and why should we use C17?  What advantages does it hold?

This is a legitimate question we can assess.
Features like restricted pointers could improve performance?
But I think the better question is what is the excuse for striving not to
keep up with the latest language standard? (Assuming someone wants to work on
it.)