Re: Contradictiory directions

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Contradictiory directions
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:16:23 +0100

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 04:13:39PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:

[...]

> >> So it seems to be terminology specific to mh-e, with no reason to
> >> warrant its adoption throughout Emacs.
> >
> > The reason is that the world has moved on to the new terms.
>
> It certainly hasn't: this was the first time I ever came across the term
> "allowlist" being used, and it was in the form of an email, not code.
>
> Even if the world has "moved on" (which is hardly a given), software
> (Emacs even more so) has historically used the "old" terms, which there
> is no need to change.  So as I said, can we please keep the situation
> simple by using the terminology which we have always used, which is to
> say, "blacklist" and "whitelist".

This is a politically loaded discussion. Still, I think it is important.
If there is a reason to assume that "blacklist"/"whitelist" might offend
some people, I think it does make sense to look for alternatives.

Perhaps it doesn't make sense to mass-patch old code, but when writing
new code... why not?

Cheers