Re: Contradictiory directions

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Contradictiory directions
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:23:17 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Who do I listen to..?

Eli and I are the maintainers.

> It is already confusing enough to participate in
> the development of a large piece of software in my spare time as it is,
> so please don't confuse me further with contradictory instructions.

Yes, it's confusing when other people are trying to give you orders, but
you can just disregard them.

> It's still based on looking at the names of modules: proprietary modules
> could easily be renamed so that their filenames are the same as the free
> ones, and vice versa: it is not concrete at all.
>
> The PCRE and csvtable modules are also in the public domain.
> Proprietary versions of them could be created ino the future.

There are no guarantees in this world.  Anybody could be making
proprietary versions of absolutely all modules Emacs is loading,
including libc.so, and there's no technical ways of stopping Emacs from

> BTW, the term "allowlist" is confusing.  It took me a while to guess its
> meaning.  Why not use the industry-standard term "whitelist" instead?

The industry standard is allowlist/blocklist.