Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 03:31:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Please report those cases as bugs.

Ok, will do.  So far adding `require' calls fixed everything I touched.

> You get additional warnings because each of the *.el files is compiled
> in a separate Emacs process, which starts from a clean state.  By
> contrast, it may be the case that your code says something like
>
>   (require 'foo)
>   (require 'bar)
>
> and 'bar' uses some stuff in 'foo' under the assumption that 'foo' is
> always loaded before 'bar'.  Since native-compilation will compile
> 'foo' and 'bar' separately, it will emit warnings.

So `foo' requiring `bar' is enough?  Ok, that would be natural and
normal, I expected something worse.  Thanks for the explanation.

Is this information unobvious enough to be added as a note to the
manual text describing native compilation?  Now is seems obvious to me
but yesterday it wasn't.

Michael.