Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 18:35:31 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> 1) Be able to specify a min width based on a "standard" char width (for
>> "-" in the mode line, for instance)
>>
>> 2) A specific pixel width (for justification, for instance)
>>
>> 3) The integral multiple (i.e., "grid")
>
> 1) is for mode line, and is satisfied with min-width display spec
> (which needs to be fixed, perhaps, see bug#52183).
> 2) is for pixel-resolution justification, and will be satisfied by a
> new kind of display spec.
> 3) will should be per-buffer (or globally), and will be satisfied by a new
> buffer-local variable.
>
> Is something missing?

Yes.

1) is difficult to achieve, because we haven't implemented a recursive
`min-width'.  To do so it possible, but finicky, since we have to look
far ahead in the buffer to see whether a new min-width spec ends the
current one, or starts a new recursive one.  I'd rather not do that,
because it'd be ugly and weird.

So all three of these should be a new kind of text property.  In
addition, 3) should also be a buffer-local variable in addition to being
a text property.  (The text property is useful if you have a monospace
table in a buffer, but there may be other text in the buffer that you
don't want to quantise.)