Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 19:22:12 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 18:02:08 +0100
>
> >> In addition, there should be a way to specify that the space should be
> >> an integer multiple of the "normal character" width.
> >
> > Is this per character or per string?
>
> I was describing the char-spacing thing, not the min-width thing.  :-/
> So, per character.
>
> > And what happened to the "recursive" part of what you described
> > earlier -- is that no longer needed?
>
> If we implement the char-spacing thing as above, then we don't need to
> touch the min-width thing, yes.

I'm sorry, I'm confused now.  Let's go to your original 3 requests:

> 1) Be able to specify a min width based on a "standard" char width (for
> "-" in the mode line, for instance)
>
> 2) A specific pixel width (for justification, for instance)
>
> 3) The integral multiple (i.e., "grid")

1) is for mode line, and is satisfied with min-width display spec
(which needs to be fixed, perhaps, see bug#52183).
2) is for pixel-resolution justification, and will be satisfied by a
new kind of display spec.
3) will should be per-buffer (or globally), and will be satisfied by a new
buffer-local variable.

Is something missing?