Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 06:38:01 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I was under the impression that you asked me to do this.  But don't
> let this stop you from doing that yourself, if you want.

You said you were going to work on the display_string min-width/C string
thing, but I don't recall discussing who was going to do this thing
(which is totally separate).

> AFAIU, we need 2 separate features: (a) a variable to force all
> characters to have width that is an integral multiple of some
> "standard" pixel width; and (b) a display spec that would enlarge the
> pixel width of every character with that display property by some
> number of pixels.  The display spec can be called char-width.

Well, there were three features that should all be text properties.  To
recap:

1) Be able to specify a min width based on a "standard" char width (for
"-" in the mode line, for instance)

2) A specific pixel width (for justification, for instance)

3) The integral multiple (i.e., "grid")

The third thing should be a buffer-local variable in addition to a text
property.