Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:46:26 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I assumed you display the names as well.  Why don't you? it could be
> important, because the appearance is not always everything.  Sometimes
> the selection of an Emoji needs that you understand what it expresses,
> in words.

Choosing emojis graphically is the popular way of choosing them, so
Emacs should have such a method.  If you don't want to use that,
nobody's forcing you -- use the method that displays with names instead.

> But that makes no sense, because there's no guarantee the fonts
> already loaded support the character you ask about, and no guarantee
> there isn't some other font which does.

It doesn't make sense in general, but for emojis you're unlikely to have
many separate fonts that cover different sets of emojis.  So once we've
established that you have an emoji font, we don't have to try to keep

> When this search is slow, how many sequences fail to display?  Or is
> it slow even if all the sequences can be displayed?  If the latter,
> there could be some issue here that doesn't meet the eye, and we
> should start by profiling.

The slowness is linear with the number of emojis that we don't have a
font for.