Re: Entering emojis

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 18:57:58 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:54:22 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Why not display them?  They won't appear as Emoji if the font doesn't
> > support them, but why does it matter for the feature we are
> > discussing?
>
> It's not very useful to display the tofu boxes in the graphical display.

Why not? it will at least tell the user the font doesn't support
that.  More importantly, it will allow the user to choose a sequence
even if his/her Emacs cannot display it, because those of the
addressees (assuming this is in an email message, for example) could.
And as a nice bonus, it makes the code much faster.

So I'd say it's a net win.  But if you are still unconvinced, how
about a user option to control whether undisplay-able emoji sequences
are filtered out?