Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:19:19 +0200

> Funny you should ask -- I've just finished (I think) making the Emacs
> build process output the resulting structures to
> international/emoji-labels.el, so that we don't have to parse the file
> run-time.

Well, that didn't really make `C-x 8 e e' (the first time) a whole lot
faster.  I mean, it's twice as fast, but I thought it was going to make
it instantaneous, and it's not.  And it's because I'm going over all the
emojis doing `char-displayable-p' on them all to weed out the ones we
don't have a font for, and that's apparently very slow?  (I mean, it
takes 0.2s to do them all, so it's not...  beyond the pale, but it's
still annoying.)

Is there a faster way?  I mean, in this context we know the script and
stuff, so perhaps there's a shortcut we could take?  Anybody know?