Re: Entering emojis

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:20:37 +0000

There are examples of hieroglyph formatting in section 11.4 of the Unicode Standard: they show the sequence of codepoints and the expected display. Do these work correctly with that font? I mean figures 11-2, 11-3, and 11-4, as well as tables 11-2 and 11-3. Here, we are free from the need to be aegyptologists, since Someoneā„¢ did the work for us.

This is such a specialized area that I trust the work of an aegyptologist way more than that of the Unicode consortium. The Aegyptus font contains ~10000 glyphs and ligatures, more precisely, ~7500 glyphs and ~2500 ligatures.

The method chosen in that font is to use ligatures instead of explicit formatting characters, with an "escape" (zero-width non-joiner U+200C) to display adjacent characters that would have been subject to a ligature separately (one after the other). Both LibreOffice and Harfbuzz understand this, and render Egyptian texts correctly.

I just looked at section 11.4 of the Unicode Standard. The first character sequence in figure 11-2 is not a valid quadrat. The second one are two characters that would normally be placed one above each other, so to obtain what is displayed in the Unicode Standard it's necessary to separate them with a zero-width non-joiner.