Re: But then what are namespaces ?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: But then what are namespaces ?
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 23:41:06 +0100

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 10:14 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > Didn't you, Stefan Monnier of the University of Montreal (hehe), author
> > a paper for the ELS where you discuss Elisp and namespaces?  I think
> > I saw it once, but can't find the link, am I dreaming?
>
> It must have been in a dream, I'm afraid.  I only once gave a talk at
> ELS, and that was an invited talk about ELisp in general.
> I can't remember the details, but I likely mentioned something about
> namespace during the talk at some point, but probably more along the
> lines of "things that still didn't happen".

Ah! It wasn't a dream, but it wasn't for ELS either. It's in your
personal webpage:

https://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~monnier/hopl-4-emacs-lisp.pdf

"While Emacs Lisp was designed from the beginning as a real
programming language rather than a
tiny ad-hoc extension language, it was not designed for łprogramming
in the largež as witnessed
by the lack of module or namespace system.
Yet, the Emacs Lisp side of Emacs is now a rather large system, so in
order to avoid name conflicts,
Emacs Lisp relies on a poor man’s namespace system,"

Section 8.11

> The only time I submitted a paper to ELS (so far) it was not about Emacs
> (and it was rejected ;-).

The world isn't ready for your genius,
Stefan.