Re: But then what are namespaces ? (was: A read-based grep-like for symb

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: But then what are namespaces ? (was: A read-based grep-like for symbols (el-search?) (was Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)))
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 21:46:36 +0100

As you wish. Beware that "aliasing" means something completely different in Emacs and symbols.

João

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021, 21:42 Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> wrote:

>>> For me "namespaces" are about allowing the same thing to be invoked by
>>> different names, depending on context.
>>
>> This is not at all what namespaces are about.  This is aliasing.
>
> Says you, right? Or is the definition of namespace rigidly set down
> somewhere?

You are free to use whatever definition you want, but aliasing is the
exact opposite of namespaces: namespaces allow you to use the same (short)
identifier to denote different objects, aliasing allows you to use
different identifiers to denote the same object.