Re: But then what are namespaces ? (was: A read-based grep-like for symb

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: But then what are namespaces ? (was: A read-based grep-like for symbols (el-search?) (was Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)))
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 21:00:59 +0100

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021, 20:42 Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> wrote:
> For me "namespaces" are about allowing the same thing to be invoked by
> different names, depending on context.

This is not at all what namespaces are about.  This is aliasing.

Says you, right? Or is the definition of namespace rigidly set down somewhere?  The Wikipedia definition, FWIW is unavoidably vague and generic, includes file systems, etc. It does rhyme with my ideas of "context" and even uses the example of human names.

But for me, you can call this "aliasing", "alberto" or whatever you want. In the Gregory namespace, of course. ;-)

João