Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 08:26:14 +0200

On 28 August 2021 08:01:42 CEST, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>> Cc: philipk@posteo.net, Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com>,
>>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:17:32 +0200
>>
>> > For example, those quality-of-life features that Gitlab has in the
>> > browser which I previously figured would be difficult to translate  to
>> > email (the code review workflow, with inline comments and updates from
>> > the branch; automatically updated CI indicators and links to builds;
>> > editing of messages) are predictably absent.
>>
>> This isn't really true though.  There definitely are links to builds and
>> inline comments.  Though I agree on parts of this.  One missing thing as
>> I see it is the updated patch. You need to find the latest patches, and
>> it won't update as in GitHub when you add another "oops" commit.
>
>Can you point to a place where one could see this stuff in action, or
>described with screenshots, and make up one's mind regarding what's
>there and what isn't?

Sure!

https://lists.sr.ht/~technomancy/fennel/patches/24386

It shows inline comments and link to a succeeding autotriggered build. As for
all conveniences in is hard to tell, since that list is a little subjective.

I think we'd need a definitive list of conveniences we need as a minimum, so
that we can actually see what's missing. SourceHut now offers the same or
equivalent workflow to GitHub, yet often it is differs in spirit. Many things
are available through the web, but some are likely not, considering the
different products age and funding

Theo