Re: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 04:38:42 +0200

Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I notice some glaring omissions of modes supporting major / popular
>>> languages like php, haskell and wikitext in Emacs, though there are
>>> widely used versions available externally as packages.
>>
>> See the thread "Re: NonGNU ELPA work" from today: I submitted patches
>> for NonGNU ELPA, the repository that has been enabled for Emacs 28+,
>> adding new major modes, so that they can be installed without any
>> further configuration.
>
> I'm aware of NonGNU ELPA and use it, thanks for adding packages there.  But
> I'm
> not sure it can substitute Emacs itself.

Code added to Emacs has to follow certain rules about license and
quality. Reasons why the code you ask for is not in Emacs might be several, but
I would tip probably because the author(s) didn't signed the FSF copyright
assigment, or they simply didn't cared themselves to submit their packages into
Emacs.

Also even if you think a package is very useful, it might not be useful to
everyone. I would prefer to even refactor some of built-in packages into gnu
elpa instead of having them all in Emacs.