RE: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:59:34 +0000

Shiny new toy syndrome.  Even if not really
so new.

(Not at all saying you're infected, Tim.
Just saying it's out there, endemic here &
there, if not yet pandemic.)

> The problem with that argument is that it doesn't explain the behaviour
> of young adults and teenagers. Nobody has 'nudged' them to move away
> from email - they were never into it. It simply isn't a communication
> medium they are interested in. For them, it is about IM, instagram,
> tiktok etc. Some of it is because of marketing, a lot of it is because
> of peer influences. Regardless, email is of no interest to them.

They're already pwned, lock, stock, and barrel.

Even seemingly self-determined "peer influence"
is influenced - by the same pwners.  That's what
they do.

And the pwnees _are_ (actively) "nudged" - to
stay pwned.  They're even led to proudly show
off their guilded, fools-gold ankle bracelets.

> ... this largely pre-dates the drive to move away from email.
> Email, regardless how it is provided, is a problem for companies. It is
> a major source of security problem, it is a nightmare for records
> management, policy and regulation compliance and a major impediment in
> business workflow automation. While I doubt any company will stop using
> email completely, they are definitely moving way from having it as a key
> technology in their business processes.

Sure.  Compliance is a headache.  History and
its footprints are a bother.  Being able to go
back and see who did and said what is, well,
something that some would rather evade/avoid.

> The problems with email for business are real. While lots of companies
> are pushing their alternative solutions for various reasons, it doesn't
> remove the reality that it fails for business on many levels.

That just means that email isn't the answer
to every problem.  The Message is not The
Messiah.

> the key point to note is that I don't think anyone is saying we need to
> get rid of the email based stuff we currently have - what people are
> asking for is to have an alternative interface..., not instead of.

Additional interfaces/UXes, yes.

> Arguments about one being better than the other are pointless

Pointing out relevant, relative advantages
isn't pointless.  Not if there's a chance of
that "instead of".

And even if there's no such chance, it's not
pointless because it can affect design of
alternatives to fit together with an email
interface.

> What people are asking for is support for a
> broader set of preferences.

I think so, and I hope for that to happen.