Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 14:33:01 +0300

On 27.08.2021 04:31, Arthur Miller wrote:
We also have a bunch of formal rules for submissions which tend to
seem intimidating. A CI with an automated checker running against all
PRs can alleviate that problem.
I don't know enough git to tell you exactly what it is, but perhaps
whatever runs each time I check-in something to my local copy of the
repository that checks for indentation and extraneous whitespace could
also work for this?
Couldn't identation and extraneous space be solved by either running after save
hook in Emacs, or by running emacs in batch mode as a git hook?

Yes, you're both talking about git hooks. A minor disadvantage is that a hook needs to be installed, and then a bug in a hook implementation can stop you from being able to make a commit (there are overrides, but those require more googling).

CI is good because if its visibility: the list of checks on current PRs is visible to every newcomer, instead of being buried somewhere near the end of the CONTRIBUTE document.