Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 22:09:04 +0300

> From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:42:08 -0700
> Cc: Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> After resolving to read the documentation thoroughly, I realized I only
> really needed a few short bits of advice:
>
> 1) The bug tracker is at https://debbugs.gnu.org
> 2) To submit a patch:
>     a) Clone the Emacs git repo
>     b) Make a branch and add some commits (as usual for the PR workflow)
>     c) Run `git format-patch master`
>     d) Compose an email to bug-gnu-emacs@ with the files in (c) attached
> 3) Commit messages have a special format (but you can just imitate what
> you see in prior commits)
>
> Almost everything else is either common advice for contributing to any
> project, or something maintainers can address after a patch is submitted
> (e.g. copyright assignment). While I don't think the existing
> documentation should be removed, having a "quick-start intro" for people
> already familiar with the PR workflow would probably go a long way
> towards making new contributors feel less intimidated.
>
> If the above sounds reasonable, I can work on a patch to the docs once
> my copyright paperwork is updated (or someone else can update them
> instead; I don't have a preference). It might even be helpful to add a
> "Contributing" section to the main Emacs homepage[2] with a short
> version of what's already in the full documentation.

Feel free to work on this, and let's talk after you actually have a
patch.

However, please note that people vary in their prior background, and
what is clear to someone who has experience with PRs and/or some
knowledge of Git, may be less known to others.  Thus, making this kind
of docs both concise and detailed enough is a problem without trivial
solutions, because that document is written for everyone, not just for
PR veterans.

But don't let me discourage you from trying ;-)