Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:42:08 -0700

On 8/26/2021 10:59 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
It seems like it should be easier to just send a patch, but feedback
we're getting shows that it's not for a number of developers.  Many
don't use mail at all for development, and all they're used to is the
GitLab/Hub way of doing it.

I'm pretty new contributing to Emacs, and so I can definitely understand the feeling of intimidation about using a mailing list-based workflow for contributions. However, once I actually tried it, it turned out to be very similar as a contributor (I don't know if I'd want to *maintain* a project using a mailing list workflow, but that's not my job, so it's not a problem for me).

One issue, however, is that the documentation for sending patches[1], while very thorough, doesn't make things easy to understand for someone familiar with a pull request workflow. While all the advice in the documentation is useful, a lot of it is stuff that anyone who's sent a PR before (hopefully) already knows, such as, "Don’t mix together changes made for different reasons. Send them individually."

After resolving to read the documentation thoroughly, I realized I only really needed a few short bits of advice:

1) The bug tracker is at https://debbugs.gnu.org
2) To submit a patch:
   a) Clone the Emacs git repo
   b) Make a branch and add some commits (as usual for the PR workflow)
   c) Run `git format-patch master`
   d) Compose an email to bug-gnu-emacs@ with the files in (c) attached
3) Commit messages have a special format (but you can just imitate what you see in prior commits)

Almost everything else is either common advice for contributing to any project, or something maintainers can address after a patch is submitted (e.g. copyright assignment). While I don't think the existing documentation should be removed, having a "quick-start intro" for people already familiar with the PR workflow would probably go a long way towards making new contributors feel less intimidated.

If the above sounds reasonable, I can work on a patch to the docs once my copyright paperwork is updated (or someone else can update them instead; I don't have a preference). It might even be helpful to add a "Contributing" section to the main Emacs homepage[2] with a short version of what's already in the full documentation.

- Jim

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Patches.html
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/