Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 19:59:34 +0200

> Shouldn't it be easier to send an email than create an account, navigate
> some web UI and fill in some form? The same goes for
> patches. Git{Lab,Hub} usually requires leaving the development context,
> to prepare a patch online, that requires "forking", more navigation and
> more fora. Just today I tried preparing a "pull request" on GitLab and
> didn't manage to do so, because it insisted on merging the commit into
> my own repository, no matter what I did. Just attaching a git patch
> seems much easier.

It seems like it should be easier to just send a patch, but feedback
we're getting shows that it's not for a number of developers.  Many
don't use mail at all for development, and all they're used to is the
GitLab/Hub way of doing it.

So it's easier for them -- it feels safe and familiar for them to do
development by clicking around in a web browser.