Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 19:40:35 +0300

From: Daniel Fleischer<danflscr@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 19:20:36 +0300

Possible issue:

1 Being able to use Emacs for all these needs. One way is being able to
  interact with the VC system using emails, i.e. issues, features,
  discussions should have a nice and efficient email interface in
  addition to using a website. Another approach is using the wonderful
  Magit and Forge packages. Forge currently is lacking the discussions
  feature but has a very good git + pull-requests + org-mode
  integration abilities.
2 Changing processes, how people operate. Whether it's the technical
  aspect of a pull-request approval vs. patch submission to the more
  conceptual change of dealing with "issues" representing bugs, ideas,
  feature requests or general discussions instead of mailing lists.
  These changes shouldn't be too disruptive. However I do believe a
  small price has to be paid in order to go from one local minima of
  effort in a given practice to another, hopefully better local minima.

Does this describe well the current situation?
What areas need attention in order to facilitate the change?
At the time, someone filed an issue with GitLab with a description of
the problems we discovered.  I'm quite sure the issue ID was posted
here.  I suggest to find that issue and read it (unless you already
did), because AFAIR there were several aspects to it, certainly more
than just 2 you mention.

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/28152

It's pretty daunting, I'd say.

And requires not only work on our side but also a number of improvements in Gitlab upstream (there are some linked discussions there on those sub-issues, but I'm assuming, best case, they are all currently waiting for volunteers).